I am off....to eat and travel!!
Yesss! For the next two hectic weeks, I shall be away from the maddening crowd in Bangalore and joining another motley crowd consisting of family and friends in Assam.
Here is what I expect:
Food I want to have:
- Fresh vegetables (broccoli, peas, spinach, mustard greens, radish, knol-khol, mint and other stuff) from my parents’ kitchen garden in Guwahati
- Dad’s special duck roast
- Duck eggs
- Mom’s fish curry in curry leaves paste
- Father-in-law’s specialty of steamed colocasia leaves-mash
- Another of his specialty roasted small fish chutney
- Pigeon curry, if possible
- Local food in the places we visit
- Tons of ‘pitha’s and ‘laru’s on Bhogali Bihu
Travel I will:
- Cover around 500 km from Guwahati to Tinsukia by car
- Visit Kaziranga National Park, famed for its one-horned rhinoceros (though we will be focusing more on the birds)
- Visit Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
- Visit Deepor Beel, the wetlands near Guwahati
- Visit Maguri Beel, the wetlands near Tinsukia
- Drive to the historical upper Assam town of Sibsagar
And since today is 11th January and Rahul Dravid’s birthday, let me tell you of an incident. This happened way back in 1998-99 when Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid formed the Terrific Trio. A few of us girls were die-hard fans of Dravid, to the point of being almost ridiculous. One of the friends, A, shared her birthday with Dravid on 11th January, too. So we decided to celebrate both the birthdays at her home. We got a cake for her and a cup-cake for the boy. She put up a poster of his on her table and lighted a candle on top of the cup-cake.
Enter Uncle, A’s father. He took a look at the poster, then at the candle, and missed the cup-cake.
Uncle: “What? Rahul Dravid died!”
There, and now I am off to enjoy my holidays! Bye and be good!